Monday 16 February 2009

I meant to say....




I meant to say that I think there is some crossover between Vanessa Beecroft and the Chapman bros. I really like Vanessas early large but simple drawings less moved by current stuff yet I enjoy the Chapmans humour. They make sculpture, prints and installations that examine, with wit and energy, contemporary politics, religion and morality.
The Chapmans first received critical acclaim in 1991 for a diorama sculpture entitled 'Disasters of War' created out of remodelled plastic figurines enacting scenes from Goya's 'Disasters of War' etchings.
Last year I saw Goyas Black paintings in the Prado in Madrid and I cant get them out of my mind especially considering how long ago they were done so for that reason alone I became interested in the Chapman bros and last year I downloaded a piece of art related to money but I have lost it! Ah well need to do my own! any way some photos of stuff they have done that I like. Most is on the White cube site click on link above to see for yourself.
I attach some Goya paintings for you to perruse to.

No comments:

Post a Comment