Tuesday 17 February 2009

Thinking about Freud


Taking a break from body as a cultural thingummy to look at Sigmond Freud for the impending essay. I have found an old picture of an hysteric in what he would think of as in a state of "prolonged somnambulism" Saltpetre Hospital, Paris circa 1879.
Sometimes in fact most times it is the state I feel closest to when reading Freud! More because of the language and the size of my brain...I will persevere.
Sadly I tend not to remember my dreams and I see this as a distinct disadvantage for this essay especially the title I have chosen but I also see it as the only one that interests me now if that isn't Freudian I don't know what is!
Or it could be I am daft!

1 comment:

  1. I found that Freud and the culture brief were so interlinked, especially with the hysteria hospitals which came before him. I found them so relevant to how people still in todays society don't quite understand mental health issues where people still call psychiatric hospitals 'nut-houses' and believe people are still in padded cells. The fear of ECT as still being this horrifying event, in which people are caused severe pain with little benefits.
    These elements of todays society, in conjunction with the history of mental health and the stigmatism attached could be an interesting line to follow?
    I dunno. :-)

    ReplyDelete